SOTL Scholars read and discuss on line materials related to the scholarship of teaching and learning. Margaret Waterman, Pat Marsteller and Deborah Allen will mentor the fellows. The SOTL mentors will meet with SOTL scholars monthly using Skype, Adobe Connect or Google Hangouts.
Each scholar will develop a year-long project. Scholars would discuss the approaches they plan to use on-line to entice others to try a SOTL approach. They will present their results at one of our network conferences and a national disciplinary conference.
SOTL scholars receive $500 plus travel to present their work at of the SCN meetings. This year, group leaders will present progress at the SCN conference at the University of Delaware on June 28-30, 2014. They will be offered the opportunity to join the BioQUEST summer workshop on June 21-28 http://bioquest.org/. Case and SOTL Fellows can choose instead to attend the 2014 American Society of Microbiology Conference for Undergraduate Educators in May.
SOTL Scholars will read and discuss the following articles. Our website will be used to post discussions and each SOTL Scholar will have monthly discussions via Skype (or other means) with their mentor.
• Dolan, Erin. (2010). Recent Research in Science Teaching and Learning. CBE Life Sci Educ 9(2): 76–77. doi: 10.1187/cbe.10-03-0048 PMCID: PMC2879382
• Tutorials such as http://www.issotl.org/tutorial/sotltutorial/
• Hutchings, Pat. Approaching the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning. Opening Lines: Approaches to the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning.
• Mettetal, Gwynn. The What, Why, and How of Classroom Action Research. 2001. Journal of Scholarship of Teaching and Learning. vol 2, no 1.
• Sundberg, MD. (2002). Assessing Student Learning. CBE Life Sci Educ 1:11-15.
• Dolan, Erin. (2007). Grappling with the Literature of Education Research. . CBE Life Sci Educ 6, 289-296.
• Park Rogers, Meredith A. and Sandra K. Abell. (2008). The Design, Enactment, and Experience of Inquiry-Based Instruction in Undergraduate Science Education: A Case Study. Wiley InterScience. 591-607. Web. 10 Jan. 2008.