SCN Workshop Resources (2012-2015)
We might as well face it… We cannot attend every case study and PBL workshop we wish to. Workshops are excellent opportunities for both professional development and collaboration with our peers, yet most of us feel fortunate to be able to attend 1 or 2 workshops a year.
To these ends, SCN has initiated a community outreach project for workshop presenters who wish to provide access to their resources. SCN members can still benefit from access to workshop topics, the presentations, selected data and tools, and participant products even if they can not participate in the event itself.
We will also feature SCN outreach efforts at workshops both here in the US and abroad.
- 1. UW-Madison College of Agricultural and Life Sciences Exploring Global Connections with Cases
- 2. UW-Madison Instructional Materials Development Exploring Evolution with Cases
- 3. Singapore National Institute of Education Teaching Science with Cases: Developing 21st Century Competencies 2012 workshop series. Note: Access to 2011 workshop series via BioQUEST.
- 4. BioQUEST Summer 2012 Workshop Making a Difference with Data
- 5. Introductory Biology Project SCN Symposium and Poster
- 6. IUBS Commission for Biology Education Exploring Sustainability Issues while Addressing 21st Century Skills in the Classroom
- 7. SCN Networking Strategies Using Case Studies, Reaching Diverse Audiences, Addressing Faculty and Future Faculty Development,and Spanning the Biology Curriculum Continuum
- 8. NCCSTS Fall Conference: Plenary Workshop September 21, 2012 at Buffalo, NY
- 9. ACUBE 2012 Keynote and Investigative Case Workshop October 19 at Lakeland College in Sheboygan, Wisconsin
- 10. Using Cases to Teach Biology October 18, 2012 at University of Wisconsin – Madison.
- 11. Singapore National Institute of Education Teaching Science with Cases: Developing 21st Century Competencies 2013 workshop series.
- 12. SCN Networking 2013 event in collaboration with the ASMCUE: Twenty Years of Vision, Change and Leadership Conference in Englewood, Colorado.
- 13. Singapore National Institute of Education Teaching Science with Cases: Developing 21st Century Competencies 2014 workshop series.
- 14. ASMCUE Pre-conference Workshop, Writing and adapting cases, May 15, 2014 in Danvers, MA.
- 15. Singapore National Institute of Education Teaching Science with Cases: Developing 21st Century Competencies 2015 workshop series.
- 16. Global Health Delivery Online: Improving health care through global collaboration Global Health Deliver Case Studies
- 17. “Carbon Balance of Forest Thinning and Bioenergy Production” is by Katharine C. Kelsey, Environmental Studies Program, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO.
- 18.“Moving to Higher Ground: Ecosystems, Economics and Equity in the Floodplain” by Sandra L. Cooke (Department of Biology, High Point University, High Point, NC), Alicia C. Lloyd (Environmental Resources and Policy, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, IL), Adelle D. Monteblanco (Department of Sociology, University of Colorado Boulder, Boulder, CO), and Silvia Secchi (Department of Agribusiness Economics, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, IL).
- 19. David Kleinbaum’s ActivEpi Web, an on-line interactive multi-media textbook on epidemiology concepts and methods.
- 20. “Which Came First, the Mutation or the Antibiotic? Understanding Antibiotic Resistance Through Fluctuation Analysis” by a trio of authors from Sacred Heart University, Fairfield, CT: Suzanne M. Deschênes, (Department of Biology), Rosemary M. Danaher (Department of Mathematics), and Hema Gopalakrishnan, (Department of Mathematics).
- 21. “Putting the Pieces Together: The Discovery of DNA Structure and Replication” by Kevin M. Bonney, Liberal Studies, Faculty of Arts and Sciences, New York University, New York, NY.
- 22. “Three Cases from the Membrane Files” by Eric Ribbens, Department of Biological Sciences, Western Illinois University.
- 23. “Nuclear Meltdown in Fukushima: Human Accident or Natural Disaster?” by Beth A. Carle, Department of Mechanical, Manufacturing, and Electromechanical Engineering Technology, Rochester Institute of Technology, Rochester, NY.
- 24. “Farming in Space? Developing a Sustainable Food Supply on Mars” by Helen S. Joyner (School of Food Science, University of Idaho, Moscow, ID) and Michael L. Allen (Department of Physics and Astronomy, Washington State University, Pullman, WA).
- 25. Native Cases, Evergreen State College
- 26. Singapore National Institute of Education Teaching Science with Cases: Developing 21st Century Competencies 2016 workshop series.